News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

The Great FroobWorld Railway

Started by froobynooby, February 28, 2016, 12:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froobynooby

As some of you may already be aware, when we update to 1.9 we will be cutting down on the amount of warps we set. Warps will no longer be for towns and farms they will instead only be for official things. To make up for this we will be making a gigantic rail system in the new map. There will be four main roads heading out from a central point in spawn going north, south, east and west. Players will be able to branch off the main track and make tracks going to their town, house, farm or whatever. It will be quite a large project and it would be great if everyone could get involved in some way, whether that be through donating items or actually helping to build it.

While we are waiting for the map to reset I thought we could plan the design of the railway so when we update we can get straight into it. The design will need to be pretty, easy to build and the materials will need to be easy to gather in bulk. There's no sense in making it out of diamond blocks. If you do actually have an idea of how it should look please post a reply to this topic.

TheChief13

I'll be happy to help with the design. I know whov and mech are both good builders too so we could sort out the main station design and build. I was thinking of basing it off the Kings Cross station in London as that is one of the best looking stations in the world.

Metalic_Shield

I'll be happy to lend a hand with materials or building.
Noot noot :3

SwankyPhil

Dang chief, I'm flattered. I'll try to come up with something.
Get Shwifty

SwankyPhil

I came up with a couple of designs. This first one is a high archway kind of thing that would use a lot of stone brick. It looks the "fanciest" of the two but would take more materials I think.

So then this second one is more wood based and flatter but probably easier to make.

Let me know your thoughts.
Get Shwifty

Mechclaw

Count me in. I'll start drafting. Any recommended blocks?

Also, If someone wants to make a town with a path/road leading to it, maybe Chief, Whov and I could make a little rail station in a similar style to their town?
Mechclaw // Eli

Zbro

Hello!

My Minecraft IGN is KidsAreSalty. Although, most of you know me by Zbro!

Silent

I need to get settled in, but I would be happy to get some support structure built!

Negtharayas

Regarding the railroad,

1) It will need to be two-way most likely
2) How will you handle intersections? An end to the track, then a new line?
3) Is it possible to do the whole thing in the Nether? It would be much faster overall. Not as pretty, granted, but much more efficient. 8x so.
4) I applaud the limiting of warps. The number of them on the old server was dizzying, but I did visit every single one. :P Good luck guys!
Neegler Industries: "Pushing the limits of <whatever NEG feels like>"

Tricia17997

i googled some minecraft rail pics, i thought these were pretty cool. similar to what whov posted. I did not build these, someone else did & posted them. just puttin that out there. (don't sue me)

If these images don't work i will try a different way.

TheChief13

i like that sandstone one. however. many deserts would be consumed in its making

TheChief13

don't worry. we more or less have it planned out already. we have stacks upon stacks of rail although a lot more will be needed.

ReputedOcelot

Count me in on the railway. Ill do whatever is needed for help

cakebaker9000

I will also contribute as the rail needs to be very long to reach me
I tend to land and I tend to my memes. I hope for you to join me in my endeavors.