News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Not a ban appeal

Started by Sigurther, November 08, 2015, 01:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurther

So, today, after coming in after a long period of absence, I was banned. Now, mind you, this isn't a ban appeal; I honestly don't play on this server enough for it to be a major issue, rather pointing out the absurdity of the situation.

Let me preface by saying I have mods in place, xray amongst them. I have no trouble admitting to this, I am a mod on one server where xray comes in very hand in locating broken geometry and player shenanigans. I also play on other servers where xray is allowed. I have a bevvy of other mods in place as well, a mapping mod, a waypoint mod and several others.

In the midst of mining today, I admittedly was mining with xray on. Again, I have no trouble admitting this - I committed a wrongdoing and will fess up to it. An admin, SwankyWhov approached me, and at first, stated that hacks and modded clients arent allowed on the server. At the time, I did not have xray on, and was mining at random. I admitted that I had a mapping tool with waypoints set, which was running at the time. SwankyWhov then said thats fine, but using xray wasn't allowed. As I had disengaged it prior to even being advised of this, and again, was not running it at the time, I said "Okay." and continued mining, at random. Move seven blocks, dig up a few, dig left a few, dig right a few, change directions, rinse, repeat. After another 30 seconds or so of doing this, SwankyWhov said "alright sigurther, you can leave now, i've seen enough'. Quoting directly from the chat logs Minecraft keeps. Quite handy indeed! And then I was baned (Use of X-Ray).

Which, you know, is fine. I recall when I originally applied several months ago that this was in the rules. I should have remembered it, but admittedly, I play a on a lot of servers where this rule either doesnt apply, or doesnt apply to the position I hold, so it slipped my mind. SwankyWhov reminded me of this, as he was obviously snooping me at the time, noticing I was hitting a lot of ore veins. Again, when he reminded me, I did not have the mod on, nor did I have it on after the fact. I was random mining.

So that's that. I thought about it for a moment, and then came here to create an account so I could write this. But not for the reasons you think. I'm not appealing my ban; rather, I'm pointing out the moderate unfairness of my ban. Looking at it from my point of view, I got one strike, and I was out. A warning of wrongdoing and then an immediate ban because in the perception of the person banning me, I was still committing wrongdoing. If that's how business is conducted here, that's fine, but I wash my hands of it. I was not even given an opportunity to plead my case. This whole interaction from the time SwankyWhov said "hey sigurther' to the time I was banned was three minutes. Warned. Complied. Banned.

So this isn't an appeal. I don't wish to have my build rights restored. I don't feel comfortable playing on a server where the rules are applied in such a draconian and iron-fisted manner. Even if the expectation was for me to stop doing everything I was doing immediately, I don't consider that reasonable. So I'm leaving, to the loss and disappointment of nobody. If someone could unlock all my chests, I leave my area and my items free for claiming. My home location is is x-9535, y65, z-5587 and there is a village and sizable farm around it. One other person has a home there that isn't mine, I believe he has it marked. I've already deleted the server address from my minecraft file and will be deleting the web address after posting this.

Good luck to you all, froobserver is actually quite a pleasant place to play otherwise.

- Sigurther

Metalic_Shield

I'm just saying I'm pretty sure if you break a major rule like no X-ray there are no "strikes" it's just an emediate ban.
Noot noot :3

TheChief13

Truth_X_ile

We cannot know when or if you have X-Ray activated or not so the point of saying you had it on then had it off is pointless and irrelevant but you totally just admitted to the X-ray being on so you could have had it on but still irrelevant, I personally would observe your mining patterns depending on how you mine and how frequently you found specific ores and then judge based on if you were using an hacks/modded clients.

In all honesty it's up to the mod/admin to decide what is best for the server and as you said "I was not even given an opportunity to plead my case" you CAN appeal on this forum that is your chance to redeem yourself that would be the place to plead your case if you deemed it unfair in any way, if you decide to come back please do not use X-ray as it's a forbidden mod to use on the server.

Good Luck in your future endeavors for whatever you choose to do.
The Temporary Admin 'Cyan name' with an Insanely Huge Farm...